Obrovac is a small town located in northern Dalmatia, in the Zadar County. The municipality of Obrovac has around 4,300 inhabitants. The city is located in the canyon of the Zrmanja river. Above the place are the ruins of a former mighty fortress.
In addition to the Obrovac settlement, Bogatnik, Bilisane, Golubic, Kastel Zegarski, Gornji Karin, Krupa, Krusevo, Komazeci, Nadvoda, Muskovci and Zelengrad belong to the municipality of Obrovac. Obrovac lies along the Zrmanja river, 12 kilometers from of its outflow into the sea.
The place developed at the crossroads of the route to Zadar, Sibenik and Knin, at the foot of the Velebit passes that lead from Lika to Dalmatia. Its traffic role was significantly reduced by the construction of the King Tomislav highway, the Zagreb-Split highway.
Obrovac belongs to the karst area of Bukovica, but due to the lack of large agricultural land, it was mainly focused on animal husbandry. The only exception is Zegarsko polje, which is located east of the city. The place was first mentioned in written sources in 1337.
In 1527, it was occupied by the Turks. In 1647, the fort and the settlement were captured and destroyed by the Venetians. In 1687, Serdar Stojan Jankovic expelled the Turks from Obrovac for good. In 1848, the municipality was established, as the first of the Dalmatian municipalities, at the request of Ban Jelacic after the unification of Dalmatia and Croatia.
The Elan factory and the Velebit hydroelectric plant operated in the place. Obrovac is known for one of the biggest economic failures of the communist era, the Jadral factory, an aluminum processing plant.
The biggest local attractions are the Krupa monastery, the remains of the Roman settlement Clambetae, the fortress of the Croatian nobles Kurjakovic, the parish church of St. Joseph, Zrmanja canyon and the Church of the Holy Trinity. In the city museum, various old objects, tools, ruins, as well as national costumes typical of this area are on display.